Apple yesterday released OS X 10.11 El Capitan to the public, making the newest Mac operating system available for free to Mac users around the world.
OS X El Capitan is still rolling out to users, but it can be downloaded using the software update function in the Mac App Store, and it will run on all Macs capable of running OS X Yosemite ( the previous OS ).
OS X El Capitan looks great and I’m sure a lot of you are chomping at the bit to upgrade, if you haven’t done so already, but I would like to mention a couple of things before you do.
So as a FileMaker developer; what questions should you be asking about FileMaker and OS X El Capitan? Well I’ve listed a couple of typical ones below and I have answered them for you. Please however note that all the information below is gathered from things I have read across the internet; bare in mind that I have not actually upgraded to El Capitan yet.
FileMaker Developer Q&A
- look at these guys Will FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced work with El Capitan yet?
I have been doing some digging around. I can’t seem to find any major issues with FileMaker when running El Capitan being reported on Forums. However FileMaker has release a page on their support site which lists known problems. El Capitan has only just, around 24 hours ago, been released to the public. So there is a good chance that not many FileMaker systems have been tested running on El Capitan yet.
Here are the currently know faults with FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced:
- Reported issue that the script step to send e-mails does not work properly in El Capitan. Read More
- Go to Relate Record using an external layout fails to find the last active window
- Application will crash when quitting if there are >1 windows open
- The FileMaker application will crash when quiting without a window being open
- Hitting the escape key while using nested windows will cause incorrect window layout
- Placement of Drop-down calendar is incorrect
- Full screen appears to be blank when entering the color sampling mode
- Some dialog boxes will open in full screen view
- Application will quit when opening a file from the Launch Center in full screen mode
- Email attachments will be missing when Sending Mail through Menu or Script
- Application is in a bad state after displaying a field with a long name in field picker
This allows time for forums, explaining El Capitan problems, to gain publicity and draw attention to others. You can keep checking my Twitter account and website for updates of the El Capitan release, too.
FileMaker are aiming to have an update for the Pro applications during this month, October 2015.
2. where can i purchase lasix Will FileMaker Server work with El Capitan?
FileMaker Server is NOT supported by El Capitan! Do NOT upgrade. FileMaker are aiming to have an update for FileMaker Server available in November 2015.
What ever you do, please, please, please do not update your server to El Capitan! Just think about it.
If you upgrade a clients laptop to El Capitan and there are problems when running FileMaker Pro then yes the client will have issues and will get frustrated; but the data which is kept on the server is still in tact and can be opened from another computer. If you update the server to El Capitan and there are problems with FileMaker Server, you could open a whole can of worms! This could prevent the clients from being able to access their files all together!
I recommend waiting until FileMaker release new versions of both FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server before thinking about upgrading to El Capitan. This will ensure compatibility and will remove any possible problems for you and your clients.
However just to be safe, I usually wait 2 to 3 months before upgrading my servers operating systems.
3. view Will FileMaker 13 and earlier versions of FileMaker be compatible with El Capitan?
FileMaker 13 and earlier versions of FileMaker have not been tested or certified with OS X El Capitan). These products were developed and released before OS X El Capitan became available.
While these earlier versions may install and run, you may encounter installation and stability issues for which there is no resolution.
Do you have any other questions about FileMaker and OS X El Capitan? If so feel free to leave them in the comments below, or send me a tweet, and I will respond as soon as possible!
FileMaker Support Site [ El Capitan ] – http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15187/~/filemaker-14-platform-and-os-x-el-capitan